Friday 1 April 2011

Bella Union's Marques Toliver

Upon more admiration of the work of City Sessions this evening I decided to reseach a bit more about Marques Toliver. A soulful Seth Lakeman perhaps, with vocals reminiscent of John Legend and the late (and great) Marvin Gaye. Really wish I was strolling throught the lanes back home in Brghton when this was going on.



Being signed to bella union and having his new ‘Butterflies Are Not Free’ EP released on April 25th is where he is now, but there is a wealth of history behind him. He comes from Florida where he trained as a classical violinist, turning away from the family business of grave-digging. He moved to New York and worked in a clothes store while spending a lot of time busking and attracting a lot of attention (for the right reasons). Fans of Grizzly Bear may be aware that he had a spell playing with them. He aquired the admiration of one Adele while she was in the States also.
I myself can't wait to go and purchase the EP as a late birthday present for myself, as what I have heard has made me only want to hear more. If you can get along to Rough Trade East on the 25th, he will be playing in-store, unfortunately I can't but will most certainly be seeing him during The Great Escape Festival on May 14th at The Unitarian Church, Brighton.

City Sessions_Film Three_Marques Toliver from City Sessions on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment