Friday 27 May 2011

Introducing - Michael Kiwanuka


I saw Michael Kiwanuka on the line-up for Communion's Bushstock Festival and decided I'd check him out. I saw that he was playing at The Hope in Brighton and that's where I was. I enjoyed what I heard so I went along. Nathaniel Rateliff was playing also, so that made the decision to go easier!
Michael's set was just what I needed to hear that day. Such a soulful voice which came seemingly effortlessly. This was accompanied by a lovely style on the guitar, which had a very nice undercurrent of folk and some subtle bass notes from his good friend and bassist.
It was easy for the audience (who where captivated) to see how much Michael was enjoying performing for us. The mood during the set was perfect, each song was silently enjoyed and then the end was met with rapturous applause.
Michael ended his set with his version of 'I Don't Know' by Bill Withers. The song originally appeared on the Still Bill album, released in1972. Although not a recognised 'hit', this is a great song and with Michael's modern day twist it was brought to life!
Still in his early 20's, Michael has a voice and a hat full of songs which show a real maturity beyond his years. With his EP launch on June 7th in London at The Social looking like being a great show, I would certainly try to get along. Keep an eye out for this young man!

The EP is entitled 'Tell Me A Tall' and is available to download via itunes now here

I caught up with Michael later for a quick interview and he was such a pleasure to speak to, we were so caught up talking that he nearly missed his train home!

For anyone reading who hasn't heard of you, could you explain who you are and what you do?
"My name is Michael Kiwanuka and I'm a singer/songwriter from North London"

Can you give us a brief history of how you came to write such wonderful songs?
"I started writing after hearing songs that moved me when i listened to them. I thought it would be nice to make music that might move myself and also others"

Having seen you last night, it's clear that you really enjoy performing. Are there any shows that stand out for you as being really good or really bad?
"I did a show in Dublin at the Olympia Theatre supporting Adele and the audience where so welcoming and fun. The venue is gorgeous too!"

What were your biggest influences, musical or otherwise?
"My biggest influences are soul singers like Marvin Gaye, Otis Redding and songwriters like Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell. Bill Withers for me encapsulated all of the above."

You have your debut release 'Tell Me A Tale' out on Communion Records in June. You must be excited?
"I'm very excited about my debut release! I think it's any musicians dream to release music"

How did you get involved with Communion and what do you think of what they're doing in the music industry with their nights, label and Bushstock festival?
"I got involved with Communion when they heard the EP. I needed someone to put it out and they agreed to do it. I love what they do and the spirit they do it with. A lovely community of producers, musicians, songwriters and artists. I can only see them going from strength to strength. A unique collective of people"

I see that  you toured with Adele, how was that?
"Touring with Adele was an amazing experience. I enjoyed every minute of it and learned loads. A great opportunity and I'm grateful for it"

Finally, what are your fondest musical memories? In your house? In your neighborhood or town?
"I have quite a few fond musical memories but i think nothing beats playing music with friends that share the same passion."

Many thanks Michael, I look forward to seeing you at Bushstock. All the best with the EP launch, we will be making a purchase!

Here is footage I found of the Bill Withers cover I mentioned, but in Paris.

No comments:

Post a Comment